UK men’s soccer deadlocks with Ohio State 1-1

Freshman Stefan Stojkovic scored UK men’s soccer’s only goal Tuesday night as the Cats deadlocked Ohio State 1-1 in the Jesse Owens Memorial Stadium on the campus of Ohio State.

No. 16 UK jumped ahead of the Buckeyes off of Stojkovic’s goal in the 21st minute but its lead was short lived as Ohio State tied the game up four minutes later on Ryan Ivancic’s goal.

The Cats’ goalkeeper Callum Irving had three saves as UK stretched its unbeaten streak to eight games. UK ends the month of October without having lost a game. The tie also ended Ohio State’s three-game winning streak.

With starting center back Jordan Wilson suspended prior to the game because of a yellow card, Hampus Agerstrom took his place and played all 110 minutes but did not play a significant role in the tie.

UK struggled to get shots on goal against the Ohio State defense, ending the game with just one shot on goal.

UK has one of the stingiest defenses in the nation, led by Irving, and have nine shutouts this year, but succumbed to an undefended goal Tuesday night by Ivancic that was setup by Yianni Sarris.

Next up for UK is an away match against Conference USA opponent Florida International. The Panthers are 1-4 in the conference and have scored just 19 goals on 187 attempts. They average just 1.46 points a game.

STAFF REPORT