New campus organization encourages open discussion

By Sophia Mahmood

With over 28,000 people enrolled at UK, students might feel lost in the crowd at times. Two juniors are stepping up to the plate to address this problem with their new organization, Underground Perspective.

Founded last year, UGP provides members with an opportunity to grow by interacting with people from all walks of life.

“Our mission is to build a social community with diversity,” co-founder Nigel Taylor said.

According to Taylor, the group currently has over 60 members and only expects to continue growing. The club hosts weekly group discussions, which address topics that are relevant to students in today’s society. Communication in college, the “hookup culture,” the importance of black history and the perception of Muslims are all topics that have been addressed in UGP group meetings.

“We’re really open to every single person. Anyone who steps through that door is family,” said Taylor, a communications junior.

Co-founder Ajay Patel said that the organization wants to allow student to have open discussions and be able to consider all opinions.

“We want to break stereotypes on campus,” said Patel, an accounting junior.

UGP has three main components—community service, group discussions and “community builders,” which are group activities designed to allow members to become acquainted and also contribute to UK in productive and charitable ways.

General board discussions are held Tuesdays and Wednesdays at 6 or 7 p.m., depending on the week, in White Hall Classroom Building. All students are invited to attend, even if they haven’t attended prior meetings. UGP can be found on Instagram @undergroundperspective, and on Twitter @UGperspective.

“We wanted to create a place for everyone, regardless of where they come from,” Taylor said. “This organization is all about bringing people together and creating a space where people and grow and learn. No other organization on campus does that.”