UK volleyball falls to LSU

By Madison Tinder

The UK volleyball team’s 11-match winning streak was snapped on Sunday when the Cats fell 3-2 against LSU in Memorial Coliseum. 

“Credit LSU for being aggressive in sets three and four,” UK coach Craig Skinner said. “We had to claw our way back in set five and gave ourselves a chance to win, but didn’t capitalize.”

Senior outside hitter Lauren O’Connor led the team with 15 kills and junior outside hitter Shelby Workman was not far behind with 13.

The Cats entered the first set with shaky offense causing them to trail behind LSU 8-5. Three kills from freshman middle blocker Taz Brown led the Cats to take the lead 11-10. A kill from Workman and O’Connor gave the Cats momentum to finish the set 25-22. Sophomore outside hitter Anni Thomasson led UK with six kills in the set.

UK opened the second frame with a 4-0 lead over the Tigers based off of LSU’s hitting errors. UK’s middle offense kept them with over a six-point lead the rest of the game and a kill from junior setter Morgan Bergen closed the set 25-15. O’Connor led the Cats with four kills in the set. 

UK trailed behind LSU at the start of the third set 4-1 behind an explosive offense from the Tigers. A block from O’Connor and a hitting error from LSU tied the game 7-7. The two teams fought back and forth the rest of the game until UK started trailing behind 24-23. A kill from O’Connor tied the game 24-24 but LSU finished the set 25-23.

The Cats entered the fourth frame trailing behind the Tigers 11-4. The Cats’ hitting errors forced LSU to close out the set 25-9.

UK opened the fifth set trailing behind 4-1 behind unnecessary hitting errors. A block from Bergren and a kill from junior middle blocker Sara Schwarzwalder tied the set 5-5. The two teams fought back and forth but in the end the Tigers took the game 16-14.

UK falls to 17-3 on the season and 7-1 in Southeastern Conference play. The Cats will continue SEC play on the road against Arkansas on Friday.