Cats put three-game win streak on the line against No. 7 New Mexico

Kentucky freshman Stefan Stojkovic brings the ball up the field during the University of Kentucky vs. Belmont men’s soccer game at the Wendell and Vickie Bell Soccer Complex in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday, August 31, 2014. Photo by Jonathan Krueger

After an onslaught of five goals of a 5-1 win against Evansville on a rainy Wednesday, UK men’s soccer will return to the Bell Soccer Complex on Saturday as it plays host to visiting No. 7 New Mexico.

UK (7-3-3) has won three games in a row and increased its unbeaten run to five games. The five run outpour is tied for the fifth-most goals in a game in UK history. The victory was also a tune-up for the Conference USA matchup against New Mexico.

The Cats unbeaten streak will be put to the test against the tough, defensive minded Lobos. New Mexico is currently fourteenth in the country in goals against average and has three straight shutouts while outscoring its last four opponents 12-1.

The Lobos will also have the distinct advantage in scoring. They are ranked twenty-eighth in the nation in scoring while the Cats are ranked 116th.

UK will need to be mindful of Conference USA’s Co-Defensive Player of the Week Riley McGovern and offensive scoring machine Chris Wehan. Wehan leads the Lobos with five goals on the season behind 30 shots, with 15 of them on goal.

Standing between Wehan and New Mexico is UK’s keeper Callum Irving. Irving has 40 saves on the year and is ranked seventh in the nation with a .870 save percentage. He has also helped the Cats post eight shutouts this season.

With two defensive minded teams squaring, off the contest will come down to time of possession. And with UK’s offense returning to its dominant form, UK will look to knock off another Top 10 team.

The Cats will enter the match looking for revenge after last year’s 2-0 loss to the Lobos. Saturday’s match will be just the second time the two teams have met in both programs’ histories.

Staff Report