SAB celebrates Hispanic Heritage month with Latin dance tutorial

By Tabassum Ali

The Salsa Center dance studio of Lexington partnered with the Student Activities Board to present Baila!, a free dance tutorial featuring various Latin dance styles, giving students and staff the chance to come learn a few new steps.

The two-hour session was packed with dance workshops, a photo booth and Spanish themed food for everyone.

Jazz and Spanish style music filled the Grand Ballroom in the Student Center, creating an atmosphere of culture and fun.

“I never used to dance before, but I heard about this and wanted to come dance,” said law school freshman Orlando Lopez.  “I’ll be tasting the food after I’ve finished dancing!”

The event was held in celebration of Hispanic Heritage Month, which lasts from Sept. 15 through Oct. 15.

“I wanted a fun and unique way to celebrate Hispanic Heritage Month” said director of multicultural affairs Kristyn Cherry. “I hope students have a good time learning the multitude of different dances originating from various Latin cultures.”

The Salsa Center started by teaching basic footwork, and then moved on to more advanced steps — the main move being the “swivel kick.”

Men and women of all ages came to the event, and were enthusiastic to get into the rhythm of the night.

There was also a demonstration of Samba dancing, which originated in Brazil, by the professionals from The Salsa Center. Featured dances also included Bachata, Mambo and authentic Cuban Salsa.

People were also taking fun shots in the photo booth.

“This is a lot of fun and its good quality pictures too,” said chemical engineering freshman Madeline Florek. “I came here with a friend, and I’m glad I got out my comfort zone.”

Although there was a slight disruption due to a fire alarm, everyone returned to the floor. People were also free styling to a remix version of DJ Casper’s classic “Cha Cha Slide.”

“It’s a lot of fun but learning the moves is pretty hard,” said Amira Aljabi, first year master student in business and administration aid.

“With Latin dancing you just dance — it’s like you’re on a rollercoaster, you don’t know what’s going to happen,” said Reena Reyes, who is the master instructor and owner of The Salsa Center, which she also co-created. “I love the turn out and how everyone participated; my goal is to make Lexington dance, and seeing everybody dance was my favorite part.”