Students and politicians celebrate Constitution Day

By Emily Feeley

Citizen Kentucky’s Constitution Day celebration was decorated in red, white and blue and served American classics like apple pie, lemonade and other sweets to the students in the Cat’s Den on Tuesday.

The event was moved from its original location outside the main building to inside the Cat’s Den in the Student Center due to rain concerns. When asked if he thought that the rain dampened viewers’ spirits, journalism professor and Citizen Kentucky Project director Buck Ryan said, “No, I think the rain inspired people to get indoors and eat free pie. We couldn’t have planned it better.”

Ryan’s “Citizen Kentucky: Journalism and Democracy” class organized the event, beginning the first day of classes about three weeks ago, said economics freshman Morgan Quick.

George McGee, from the Kentucky Humanities Council’s Chautauqua speaker series made an appearance dressed as Henry Clay and gave a background of the Kentucky statesman. Constitutions were given out to attendees.

Lexington Mayor Jim Gray and UK Assistant Vice President for Public Safety Anthany Beatty, the two Nov. 4 mayoral election candidates, explained their platforms briefly and answered questions from journalism and democracy students.

The importance of this event was that it aimed to involve the younger generations of voters, Ryan said. Quick acknowledged that prior to Ryan’s honor class she “wasn’t really involved in politics” but said now she’s “enjoyed getting a little bit more involved.”

Charles Burns, a sophomore majoring in psychology and community and leadership development, was not originally aware that the event was occurring but said he stayed because the event was entertaining and enjoyable.

In the interest of informing student voters, WRFL news director Alan Lytle and Ryan are teaming up to produce a mayoral debate forum that will be held in Worsham Theater on Oct. 28 at 7 p.m., a debate the Kernel first reported about in July.

“Our crews have been out and about gathering your opinions,” Lytle said. “We’re using your opinions to craft the questions we’ll be asking the candidates.”

Ryan said students should not hesitate to involve themselves in civic education, as they are directly affected by political issues during and after college.

“There are serious public problems that are affecting young people,” Ryan said. “This is the opportunity for young voters to wake up and speak their mind.”