For some, it is never too early to line up for Big Blue Madness

UK fans swarm outside Memorial Coliseum around 5 AM to wait for Big Blue Madness tickets in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, September 17, 2014. Photo by Adam Pennavaria

[data-ps-embed-type=slideshow] > iframe {position: absolute;top: 0;left: 0;}

By Joshua Huff

A program tradition since 1982, UK basketball’s Big Blue Madness is the opening event for the Cats’ college basketball season.

Big Blue Madness is a ritual filled with pomp, dazzling lights and theatrics, the “Madness” draws in the UK fan base like a porch light does curious insects.

“It’s kind of become a tradition,” said Roger Long, 48, of Campton, Ky. “It’s really a lot of chaos but it’s worth it. It gets to be addicting for you.”

Many fans make their way to Lexington up to a week prior to the distribution of tickets for Big Blue Madness, which happens at 7 a.m. Saturday at Memorial Coliseum.

Fans are asked to line up no earlier than 5 a.m. on Wednesday for the campout, even though several fans, including Long, have already lined up across the street from Memorial Coliseum to get in position for the campout.

In earnest, fans are lining up early to get in line for a basketball practice.

Fans come from all corners of Kentucky and wait in line days prior to the official lineup on Wednesday, just to get a good spot in line. Rain or shine, the fans will still set up tents and sleep under the stars.

Long made the trip from the hills of Eastern Kentucky to wait across from Memorial Coliseum before the official campout for tickets takes place.

“It used to be that you just had to walk in here,” Long said. “You didn’t have to do all this, tents and all this stuff. You used to have to just get in line and go in Memorial Coliseum.”

Wally Branson, 48, made the trip for the third consecutive year at the   urging of his wife, Branson just so happened to be holding the seats while she was off at work, leaving him by himself.

“It gets a little crazy around here,” Branson said. “It’s a tradition, you know what I am saying. It’s what Lexington is known for — basketball. Hopefully it’ll be football before too long. “

Debbie Florence of Lexington made the trip for the first time because of her love for UK.

“I’ve always been a Wildcat fan,” Florence said. “But I’ve never been to Big Blue Madness.”

Despite being a resident of Lexington, Florence said the first time she had seen the event was last year on TV.

“I fell in love with it,” Florence said. “I had never even seen it before.”

The biggest draw for Florence is actually being able to see the players in person. Seeing head coach John Calipari is “a different experience,” she said.

For Helen Fisher of Lexington, this year’s Big Blue Madness will be her eighth time braving the elements to get a glimpse of the new UK basketball team.

But she doesn’t do it for herself. Her son attends UK and she uses the event to spend time with him and his friends.

“It’s actually fun to hang out with him and his friends,” Fisher said. “Since I’m the oldest, I’m called Mrs. Fisher the whole week.”

Seeing the players interact with the fans is what keeps her coming back.

“I think the team is going to be awesome,” Fisher said. “I’m glad the (Harrison) twins came back, I think for that reason right there, they have a bunch of players that are back — so they’re going to be good this year.”