Capilouto gets 2 percent raise

By Anne Halliwell

University President Eli Capilouto’s third-year evaluation in the Board of Trustees meeting Friday ended with a two percent raise, bringing his salary up to $535,000 per year, as well as two more bonuses totalling more than $150,000.

Two percent was the average merit raise awarded, Blanton added, based on UK employees’ reviews of their managers. The raise added $10,000 to Capilouto’s yearly compensation.

Surveys from faculty, staff and trustees indicated that responders were impressed with the last year’s new construction projects, increased enrollment, EdR and Aramark partnerships and Rupp Arena. They listed dedication, integrity and fairness as personal strengths.

Areas of improvement included increased communication during the decision-making processes, as well as greater involvement of staff and trustees in those decisions. Furthermore, the surveys called for more openness to dissent, more minorites in leadership positions, and increased faculty and staff pay.

“My only concern … (is that) I don’t think we’re as strong as we should be on compensation,” said trustee James Stuckert. He supported Capilouto’s raises and expressed approval of his leadership.

“The president knows there are things to address, but this is a good time to celebrate,” echoed trustee David Hawpe.

The board’s vote to award Capilouto the raise and bonuses was unanimous.

Capilouto also announced his own gift of $250,000 for a multi-disciplinary research building dedicated to fighting health care disparities in Kentucky.

“We know our gift is not enough. No one gift is,” Capilouto said. “We need other (donors) to join us. We need our state to listen when we ask for bucks for