Women’s soccer taking next step

By Kevin Erpenbeck

The 2014 UK women’s soccer season can be looked at in many different ways. It could be program-defining, a last hurrah for seniors Arin Gilliland and Stuart Pope, and a preview of what is to come in the future.

But mostly, the 2014 season should be viewed with much optimism.

The Cats are coming off their 2013 season in which they secured their third straight berth to the NCAA Tournament and second straight victory in the tournament. It was the first time in school history that either feat had been accomplished.

While they did fall to the eventual national champion UCLA in the second round, there was still a bright light of optimism for the Cats’ future. That optimism can be found in the returning roster.

Much of the core talent that carried the team throughout the 2013 season returns this year, including  Gilliland and Pope. The forward and midfielder, respectively, combined for 22 goals last year and 61 total points. They also assisted one another on six different goals. While Pope’s season was cut short four games early due to a torn ACL and MCL, the two attackers played efficiently when on the field together.

Other key players like junior forward Kelli Hubly, junior midfielder Olivia Jester, and junior forward Cara Ledman all return this year as well. The three converted defenders did a fantastic job of holding the backline during their sophomore season and helped UK shutout five of its opponents since they moved to defense in the third game of the season. Their defense will be heavily relied upon this year as well.

UK has all the pieces it needs to make a run back to the NCAA Tournament in 2014, and possibly even further than the program has ever been before: past the second round.

But the season does not come without questions. Goalkeeper Kayla King has since graduated from UK and has left a net-sized hole on the team’s most important position. Sophomore Ayanna Parker watched King play the position the majority of the season from the bench and has little experience (two games as a reserve last season).

For now, head coach Jon Lipsitz has decided to turn to freshman Taylor Braun as the Cats’ goalkeeper. Braun comes in to UK after winning First Team All-District honors at her high school in Grapevine, Texas. If Braun plays well in her first collegiate year, she could be the defensive captain that UK has been looking for.

With all the potential this season has, don’t expect Lipsitz or the players to be satisfied with a one-victory run in this year’s NCAA Tournament. They’re eager for a historic season, and if this team makes history, 2014 will be viewed as the one that set the standard for the program in the years to come.