State Street house ‘intentionally set’ on fire Tuesday morning

A vacant house on State Street was intentionally set on fire early Tuesday morning, according to a fire official. However, it is unclear whether it was related to State Street crowds who gathered after UK’s National Championship loss late Monday night. Photo by Kyle Arensdorf

A vacant house on State Street “was intentionally set” on fire early Tuesday morning, said Battalion Chief Mark Harvey.

Harvey, of the Lexington Division of Fire and Emergency Services, said firefighters responded to 224 State St. around 4 a.m. He said he could not say if the fire was related to crowds on State Street, where hundreds of people gathered after UK’s National Championship loss to UConn on Monday night.

“We are not willing to come out and say that (the fire was related to the State Street crowd),” Harvey said. “It was far enough after the fact that you can draw your own conclusions as a journalist. But we are not willing to say it was tied to those folks in the street.”

Harvey didn’t have any details yet regarding where the fire started or what happened from investigators. He said clearly there were many people partying nearby, but could not say whether or not it was related. The crowd dispersed a few hours earlier than the fire, he said.