Greeks stomp and step for bragging rights and charity

Kappa Alpha Order perform “Men in Black” during Stomp-A-Palooza, a Greek Philanthropy event at the Lexington Center in Lexington, Ky., on Thursday April 3, 2014. Photo by Joel Repoley

By Anthony Gaither

Dimmed lights, costumes and a few thousand spectators were all apart of Stomp-A-Palooza at the Lexington Convention Center on Thursday.

There was an award for the best fraternity, best sorority and the most spirited. Beta Theta Pi won for fraternities, Alpha Delta Pi won for sororities and Phi Mu sorority won for most spirited.

The top finishers in each category received a trophy and $100 to the charity of their choice.

The stomp competition, also known as “the 2012 Greek event of the year,” took place place in the Singletary Center for the Arts in previous years, but moved this year because of the large turnout.

Every organization in Greek life was present, said Kirsten Fields, an elementary education junior who helped organize the event.

“This is the only event that brings together all of the greek life on campus. We call it ‘bridging the gap,’” said Fields, member Kappa Alpha Theta sorority. “The biggest goal is to raise money for charities.”

All money that was raised went to Court Appointed Special Advocates of Lexington and March of Dimes.

“I’m excited about this event because it raises money for such good causes,” said Carlisle Corbin, an elementary education junior.

Christian Adair, a member of the Alpha Lambada Alumni Chapter, said when he was apart of Greek life twenty years ago only the black fraternities and sororities stepped together. Adair is excited that now everyone is stomping together.

“We (Delta Tau Delta) wanted to make a good first impression,” kinesiology junior Chris Greb said. “There was a lot of excitement and energy.”