UK has yet to show interest in local high school star

By Rachel Mann

The top uncommitted basketball recruit in Kentucky has not received a call from UK.

Jackson Davis (Lafayette High School, Lexington) is a record-breaking 6-foot-8-inch forward. He decommitted from Rice University in February after committing in October.

“After a successful season, schools that were previously not recruiting me started to come into the picture,” Davis said. “I had a lot more offers on the table.”

Johnathon Davis, Jackson’s father and assistant coach at Lafayette, played for UK from 1987-91 under coaches Eddie Sutton and Rick Pitino. Jackson Davis said his father seemed to enjoy playing for the Wildcats, however, the family has had no contact with UK head coach John Calipari.

The presence of current 2014 commitments Trey Lyles (Arsenal Technical High School, Indianapolis) and Karl Towns (St. Joseph High School, Metuchen, N.J.), along with returning players from the 2013-14 season, might not leave room for another big man on the team.

Davis is looking to play significant minutes his freshman year, and he said that UK might not be the place for that.

“I think there are too many people at my position there for me to do well and to be beneficial for my career,” Davis said.

The Davis family has set up five official visits , including Butler University, Vanderbilt University and the University of Alabama. Davis said he has a “pretty good connection with (each) staff,” and relationships are important to his decision.

With a 3.9 GPA and plans to study business, Davis said that academic opportunities will play a large role in his decision.

Davis said he had a good conversation with an Auburn University assistant coach Sunday. Newly-appointed head coach Bruce Pearl has given Auburn an opportunity in Davis’ recruitment.

Davis finished his career at Lafayette with 2,343 points, the most in Lafayette history and second all-time in Fayette County. He is Lafayette’s all-time leader in rebounding with 1,372 and blocked shots with 321.

In an interview with Lexington Family Magazine, Johnathon Davis said his son makes the game hard for opponents because of his unusual skill set. Jackson Davis is big enough to play center and quick enough to play guard.

“He’s a unique player because he can post up and he’s a good ball-handler,” Johnathon Davis told the magazine.

Jackson Davis said he has enjoyed his recruitment journey so far, even though it has been stressful.

“Some days you just want it to end, but overall I love it,” Davis said. “To feel wanted — it’s a good feeling.”

UK fans may not want to see the local star leave, but his departure from Lexington seems imminent.

Davis said he has NBA aspirations regardless of which college he selects. Even though UK and Calipari are known for producing NBA talent, the pair does not appear to have any traction.