UK Hoops survives Baylor in 4-overtime, record-setting win

Staff report

UK Hoops defeated Baylor University 133-130 in a four-overtime marathon that set the mark (263 points) for  the largest combined score in women’s college basketball history.

Junior guard Jennifer O’Neill scored a school-record 43 points and added six assists in the win for the Cats (9-0). The two teams combined for 80 fouls on the night, with teams shooting a combined 112 free throws.

UK Sophomore guard Janee Thompson scored a career-high 20 points in the game.

The 133 points for the Cats is the most program history, and occurred in UK’s second-straight win over a top-10 opponent.

Baylor (7-1) was led by senior guard Odyssey Sims who scored a game-high 47 points. Sims fouled out during the first overtime and was one of seven Bears to foul out.

After regulation, the game was tied at 90. At the end of the first overtime, O’Neill missed a free-throw, opening the door for Baylor freshman guard Imani Wright’s three-pointer to send it to the second overtime.

In the second overtime, O’Neill had her shot blocked by Bears junior forward Sune Agbuke who then made yet another game-tying three. O’Neill missed an opportunity to win the game in the third overtime after Baylor knocked in two free throws.

In the fourth overtime, the Cats outscored the Bears 9-6, and got a offensive rebound in the final minute from senior forward DeNesha Stallworth, who finished with 16 points and nine rebounds.

The four-overtime game was also the longest in program history for the Cats.

UK will have six days off and play next at Depaul University on Thursday.