UK Hoops braces for another ranked test

UK center Samarie Walker (23) goes in for a layup during the second half of UK Hoops vs. Bradley at Memorial Colosseum in Lexington, Ky., on Wednesday, November 27, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Tyler Spanyer | UK Hoops beat writer

Fresh from an upset of in-state rival Louisville, UK Hoops will travel to Arlington, Texas to take on No. 9 Baylor University in a prime-time showdown of unbeatens.

“We are very excited about our upcoming game,” UK head coach Matthew Mitchell said. “It’s a great, great experience. We have a great opportunity to play an outstanding team, but the overall experience is a great opportunity.”

UK (8-0) is led by senior forward DeNesha Stallworth, the reigning SEC Player of the Week. Stallworth scored 15 points in the second half to help No. 5 UK beat Louisville on Sunday. She is averaging 14 points and 6.8 rebounds per game this season. She is listed on every major preseason award watch list.

“All I ever need (Stallworth) to do is play with great energy on defense and on the boards, and all the other stuff will figure itself out,” Mitchell said. “If you’re as talented as DeNesha, you can give people all sorts of difficulties, so we’ll just continue to try to encourage her.”

The Cats have five players averaging double figures in points and are still undefeated after passing their first big test of the young season against the Cardinals.

“Baylor is just really, really tough and have been ever since coach (Kim) Mulkey has taken over that program,” Mitchell said. “It’s a program we have tremendous respect for. It will be a very difficult game and we’ll have to prepare well to have an opportunity to win.”

Although undefeated, Baylor has yet to play a ranked team this season. UK will be Baylor’s (7-0) first opponent that made the NCAA Tournament last season. The Cats have already played three teams that made last year’s tournament field.

Recent No. 1 WNBA draft pick Brittney Griner, winner of the last two Wooden Awards for most outstanding women’s basketball player, helped make Baylor into a women’s basketball powerhouse.

No.9 Baylor’s new star is senior guard Odyssey Sims, who was named preseason Big 12 Player of the Year. Sims is currently averaging 27.6 points per contest and shooting 52.4 percent from the field this season.

“Odyssey Sims is probably the best singular talent that I’ve seen in the country this year,” Mitchell said. “She is really, really amazing.”

The game is set to tip-off at 7:30 p.m. on Friday and will be shown live on ESPN3.