The Edge: Vanderbilt lies a step above Cats

By Alex Forkner | Football columnist

What’s left to play for?

UK’s loss to the University of Missouri last week sealed its postseason fate. Like the rest of us, the Cats will be watching bowl season from the couch.

Meanwhile, Vanderbilt University is one win away from securing its third straight year of bowl eligibility.

The Commodores are actually staring the possibility of eight wins in the face, with winnable games against UK, the University of Tennessee and Wake Forest University left to play.

With a bowl victory, Vanderbilt could potentially accomplish a second consecutive nine-win season.

Though UK can no longer salvage its season, it can still spoil others’ seasons. Or, if you prefer to go light on the schadenfreude, Jalen Whitlow offers another motive for the last few games.

“Our seniors,” Whitlow said. “We owe them a lot these last few games so we’re going to put them on our back and try to get some wins.”

Those seniors, who have endured a tough tenure, won’t be reaping whatever future success head coach Mark Stoops may bring the program.

That being said, the lure of a bowl likely outweighs sentimentalism. Vanderbilt looked like a focus team in The Swamp last Saturday against the University of Florida and should be just as dialed in generic cialis at home against the Cats.

Edge: Vanderbilt

Stopping the go-to guy

When Missouri got close to the endzone last weekend, the plan was simple: Toss it up and let Dorial Green-Beckham go get it.

And such simplicity paid off. Green-Beckham hauled in four touchdowns and the Tigers won in a blowout.

Unfortunately for UK, it has the task of tracking another talented receiver against Vanderbilt.

Senior Jordan Matthews has spent his career climbing the SEC record books for receiving. He ranks first in career receiving yards and second in career catches, and he is only 15 shy of that record.

“I think that (Matthews) — just his being a veteran, I think the guy just understands the game so well and understands body position and understands when to jump for the ball and how to run routes,” UK defensive coordinator D.J. Eliot said. “I just think he’s a very skilled receiver … The guy runs great routes. He’s got good speed, he’s got excellent ball skills. There’s a reason why he’s the top receiver in the SEC.”

In his career against UK, Matthews has 16 catches for 303 yards and three touchdowns, finding the endzone in each game.

UK’s secondary has struggled to stifle the guy the opponent wants to get the ball to. Matthews will get a good deal of the defense’s focus on Saturday, but the Cats can’t allow that to open up other opportunities for Vanderbilt.

Matthews might not have the biggest day of his career, but he’ll probably hurt the Cats in spots, convert some big third downs and score yet another touchdown.

Edge: Vanderbilt

Overall Edge: Vanderbilt

UK has been outscored by the Commodores 78-8 in the last two seasons. This matchup won’t be so lopsided, but the Commodores are a notch above the Cats right now.

Prediction: Vanderbilt 34, UK 23