Gaga shocks again with ‘ARTPOP’ album

By Jordan Mason

Once again, Lady Gaga has used her expressive personality to create another fun-filled project with her fourth studio album “ARTPOP.”

She returns with her signature sound and empowering lyrics after her best-selling album “Born This Way”released in 2011 and sold 1,108,000 copies in its first week, according to Billboard.com.

“ARTPOP” has different collaborations than usual.

Her song “Do What U Want,” featuring R&B singer and songwriter, R. Kelly, was one of the singles released before the album and jumped to the number one hit on iTunes in 64 countries upon its release in October, according to Billboard.com.

Her song “Jewels N’ Drugs” features rap artists T.I., Too $hort and Twista,  adding an entirely different dynamic to this album and appealing to some of her fans who listen to more hip-hop than techno-pop.

This album is much more upbeat in some respects than “Born This Way,” which focused on equality and self-empowerment.

Lyrically, “ARTPOP” focuses on the empowerment of feeling comfortable with oneself.

In a way, one could say the Gaga from “Born This Way” is growing into the person she wants her fans to be.

She also has some classically Gaga tracks on her album which really show off her vocals like “Venus” and “Gypsy.”

Other songs like “G.U.Y.,” and “X Dreams” feature those clever, sensual metaphors Gaga is famous for.

The album title track, “ARTPOP,” did not make as big of as a statement as I was expecting.

It had more of a somber beat than expected from a title track.

She uses great lyrics in this song and she brings back the theme of empowerment, but it had more of a somber beat than expected.

Saving the best for last, Gaga ends “ARTPOP” with the track “Applause.”

It finishes the album with an upbeat feel and combines her statement of empowerment with the hidden metaphors she continuously uses.

While Gaga continues to create amazing music that grows with her fans and allows for artistic interpretations, this album was not her best work, earning 2.5 stars out of 5.