UK basketball beats NKU from tipoff to final buzzer

By Nick Gray | Sports editor

UK freshman forward Julius Randle earned his second double-double in as many games and UK defeated Northern Kentucky University, 93-63, at Rupp Arena on Sunday, two days before the Cats’ matchup with No. 2 Michigan State University in Chicago.

“We got better today,” UK head coach John Calipari said. “That’s all I’m worried about.”

In the first half of the Cats’ season opener on Friday, shooting from the free throw line and the field by UK allowed University of North Carolina-Ashville to stay within striking distance.

From the onset of Sunday’s game against NKU (0-2), offensive production did not hamper the top-ranked Cats (2-0).

Cats freshman guard Aaron Harrison scored 16 points and freshman guard Andrew Harrison had 13.

Randle recovered from being hit in the face three minutes into the game to score 11 points and grab 10 rebounds in the first half. The 6-foot-9-inch forward finished with 22 points and 14 rebounds on six-of-seven shooting, as he was 10-of-14 from the free throw line.

The Cats controlled the game from tip to halftime, building a 29-10 lead with four straight points from Randle and seven points from UK sophomore forward Alex Poythress, who came off the bench for Randle and contributed with an offensive rebound, a layup and a three-point basket early in the game.

UK collected 12 offensive rebounds and out-rebounded NKU 29-12 in the first 20 minutes. The Cats finished with a 51-23 edge on the boards for the game.

The Norse have two players measuring 6 feet 7 inches tall each. The Cats have seven players measuring that height, all of whom played Sunday.

“When I walked out on the floor and saw how big they were, I thought about turning around and going back in the locker room a little bit,” NKU head coach Dave Bezold said.

NKU sophomore guard Tyler White had 12 points for the Norse, who shot nine-of-35 from three-point distance after hitting 13-of-26 three-point shots in their season opening defeat at Purdue University.

Sunday’s game was a precursor to the 21st matchup in history between the No. 1 and No. 2 teams in the country. Michigan State defeated McNeese State University 98-56 on Friday and will have three days of rest before facing the Cats, compared to UK’s one day of recuperation on Monday.

“The hype (of the game) will get you. It’s super hype in (the arena); it’s going to be loud,” sophomore forward Willie Cauley-Stein said. “If you can keep your composure and play with your strengths and don’t let them take those strengths away, then I guess (the team) was ready.”