UK football takes another narrow defeat, gives another promising performance

By Alex Forkner

UK football had just stormed back to cut the Mississippi State University lead to two in the third quarter.  A botched snap on a punt gave them a safety, and a surprise Jalen Whitlow cameo sparked a touchdown drive that took one minute.

On the ensuing kickoff, Joe Mansour bounced a short, high-arching kick toward the UK sideline that dropped neatly into Javess Blue’s hands. It was perhaps the most perfect onside kick ever executed in football.

Maybe so perfect that the referees decided it belonged not to us mere mortals, that something so flawless could not exist on this earthly sphere.

The extremely debatable offsides call — which could arguably be called on every kickoff — didn’t just wipe out that gorgeous onside kick, but also the massive amount of momentum UK had built up.

Should the kick have been counted (and it most definitely should have), the Cats would have had the ball, down three points. The offense had just looked as effortless as it had all season. We can’t say for sure UK would have taken the lead, but the probability wasn’t negligible.

Instead, the Bulldogs drove down field and scored when junior receiver Jameon Lewis took the handoff on a sweep, tossing it back to sophomore quarterback Dak Prescott for the touchdown.

What could have been a lead or a tie was now a nine-point deficit.

Granted, UK had more opportunities. It would find itself with great field position after forcing a 31-yard punt, but managed only a field goal, cutting the deficit to six with just over eight minutes to go.

And after giving up three conversions on third-and-long on State’s last clock-draining drive, UK forced a turnover on downs after a monster sack from junior defensive end Bud Dupree, who played like terror personified all night long.

But the Cats’ potential game-winning march halted when sophomore quarterback Max Smith’s pass to freshman receiver Alexander Montgomery ended up on the turf.

UK fans are no strangers to feeling victimized. Earlier this season, officials threw a flag for a phantom 12-men-on-the-field penalty in the University of South Carolina game, gifting the Gamecocks a crucial first down.

The following week, UK head coach Mark Stoops would receive a call from the league office apologizing for getting the call wrong. After the SEC watches the replay of the offsides call, it ought to have a fruit basket postmarked for Lexington, pronto.

And while there were plenty of aspects of this game that must feel familiar to long-suffering Cats fans, plenty others should not — none more so than that gutsy onside kick call.

Fourth downs are attempted. Blitzes are called. This coaching staff plays to win. A break here and there and UK is victorious — a vast departure from recent years.

That UK is a few breaks shy of wins instead of being downright broken? That’s progress.