Jarrod Polson plans something ‘special’ for final Big Blue Madness appearance

at basketball media day in Lexington, Ky., on Thursday, September 12, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Nick Gray | Sports editor

The best-kept secret in the state of Kentucky is being held by UK’s senior backup point guard: Jarrod Polson.

It’s his last Big Blue Madness, and Polson said Tuesday at UK basketball media day that he may or may not have some sort of skit planned for the event on Friday.

“I’m not sure yet,” Polson said with a wide grin.

He said he didn’t realize it was his final Big Blue Madness until he was asked about it.

“Four years have gone by pretty quickly and I’m going to try and enjoy it,” he said.

Big Blue Madness has featured some eccentric dances, including John Wall’s moves in 2009 and UK Hoops head coach Matthew Mitchell’s dances the past two years.

The event has also given fans some high-tech displays, like the one projected on the court featuring the history of Cats basketball last year.  For this year’s event, UK Athletics announced this week that fans attending Big Blue Madness should download an app to their smartphones for a display on Friday.

Some of Polson’s teammates hinted at him having a plan for Friday night’s festivities, though freshman forward Marcus Lee declined to comment.

“I can’t say anything,” Lee said.

But Lee’s fellow freshman forward James Young mentioned it more freely.

“I’m looking forward to it a lot because I was here last year for it and I feel like it will be a real great experience, especially with it being the first time playing in Rupp Arena,” Young said. “I’m not sure if I’m going to dance, but I heard J.P. (Polson) has a little something up his sleeve this year.”

Senior guard Jon Hood confirmed the news.

“Jarrod’s got something really special planned for it,” Hood said. “You have to wait for it. It’ll be really funny.”

Polson and Hood have begun a series of “lasts,” going through their last offseason, their last preseason practice and now their last Big Blue Madness before their final college seasons begin.

The duo has been through seven combined Madness events, but neither has done anything particularly notable when it comes to entertaining the crowd.

Hood has participated in four Big Blue Madness events, every event in the John Calipari era, though he was injured during the 2011 outing. The 6-foot-7 guard said he hasn’t developed any senior sorrow yet.

“No, it hasn’t hit me. I guess it’ll hit me on Senior Night,” Hood said. “I’m just worried about basketball.”