UK basketball players visit Lexington elementary schools

Dakari Johnson plays “matball” with first grader Paul Wilson at Picadome elementary school in Lexington, Ky., on Monday, September 30, 2013. Photo by Emily Wuetcher

By Nick Gray | Sports editor

UK basketball players were scattered across three different elementary schools on Monday, packing lunches and delivering meals to students as a part of the fourth annual CATS Back Pack program.

God’s Pantry supplies the food for the packaged lunches. Each of the 22 athletic programs at UK participates in the program, and athletes and department staff members are both involved in the program. According to UK Athletics, the department will package more than 5,100 lunches throughout the school year.

Freshmen guards Andrew and Aaron Harrison, along with freshman forward Marcus Lee, freshman center Dakari Johnson and senior guard Jon Hood, played what the children termed “mat-ball” in a gymnasium at Picadome Elementary School in Lexington.

The players took turns pitching a kick ball to the students before switching sides. After the game, Lee led the group in a “C-A-T-S” chant after a group photo was taken.

Hood talked to the students at the end of the event, giving advice on how to balance education with other extra-curricular activities.

“The more we practice at reading, math, english and social studies, the better we are going to get at that, too. Don’t just put all of your time in just one thing,” Hood said to the students.  “Spread it all out, and most importantly, have fun.”

Johnson said he was more than happy to spend time with the students during school.

“They don’t have this opportunity just to see us on this side,” Johnson said with a smile. “They see us on the basketball court, but we’re great people off the court. Just putting smiles on their face.”