Bluegrass Chapter of American Red Cross raising money for Oklahoma tornado victims with relief telethon

An American flag flaps in the wind near Plaza Towers Elementary School, Tuesday, May 21, 2013, in Moore, Oklahoma, after yesterday’s tornado that rolled through the Oklahoma City area, injuring scores and killing at least two dozen people. (Brad Loper/Dallas Morning News/MCT)

Staff report | @KyKernel

The American Red Cross’ Bluegrass Chapter is holding a telethon on Wednesday to raise funds for Oklahoma Tornado Relief.

Approximately 2,400 homes were destroyed in Central Oklahoma when by a tornado on Monday.

The state medical examiner’s office says that at least 24 people were killed.

Beginning at noon on Wednesday and continuing through to midnight, individuals or organizations are invited to make donations on the Kentucky Cares hotline by making a phone call to 859-977-5366.

After the 12-hour window, donors can pledge to the fund online at redcross.org, or by calling 859-253-1331 or 1-800-REDCROSS.

Central Bank and Kroger locations in the Lexington area will be accepting donations towards the relief efforts.

Donors can also contribute in-person at the Fayette Mall on Thursday and Friday from 3 p.m. through to 7 p.m.

Arrangements are being made for local volunteers to travel to aid relief efforts in Oklahoma.

Stinson Miller, the director of volunteers for the Bluegrass Chapter of the American Red Cross, says that arrangements are being made  for local Red Cross volunteers to travel to Oklahoma to aid relief efforts.

“We have two volunteers on their way to Oklahoma in our Emergency Response Vehicle currently and we expect more to deploy throughout the next several days,” Miller said in a press release.

Kevin Durant, a forward for the Oklahoma City Thunder NBA team, donated $1 million to the fund on Tuesday via the Durant Family Foundation.

The Thunder later matched Durant’s donation.