New WildCards will make campus safer

By Amelia Orwick | @KyKernel

As part of an overall project to enhance the security of campus, UK students will be required to replace their current ID cards with new, technologically advanced cards by September 6.

The multi-purpose cards will be used for the same services as the old cards, but with improved access control.

“This will be a proximity card or prox card, which is a smart card which can be ‘read’ without inserting it into a reader device, as required by earlier magnetic stripe cards such as credit cards,” said Kathy Johnson, UK spokeswoman.

No personal information will be stored on the card.

The UK Police Department will take over operation of the cards beginning in July.

Under the new system, UKPD will have the ability to remotely lock down buildings in the case of an emergency, according to UK Police Chief Joe Monroe.

New housing facilities and exisiting housing facilities that will remain on campus will use the new access system, Monroe said. The system will also be installed in 15 high-traffic buildings, such as White Hall Classroom Building, as well as future classroom buildings.

While select few employees used WildCards under the old system, all employees will be required to obtain the new cards, which will be issued starting May 1.

The WildCard UKID Center previously operated by Student Affairs will still issue the cards, although the office is being transitioned to operate under the responsibility of UKPD, Johnson said.

Card distribution will also be a mobile operation, according to Monroe. UKPD will have the capability to issue cards at employee orientations, for example.

Students and employees will be required to turn in their current active WildCard in order to receive the new card at no cost, Johnson said. A replacement fee of $20 will be charged to those who do not have their current WildCard and for a lost or stolen card, and employees who have not received a card will be provided their first card for free.

The WildCard UKID Center, located in Student Center Room 107, is open 9 a.m.-5p.m. Monday-Friday. Extended hours will be announced for August to facilitate returning students, Johnson said.

Monroe said that the earlier students replace their cards, the better.

“It’s an overwhelming process, so students will just have to be patient in recarding,” Monroe said. “One of the things I really encourage, is for people to stop in during the summer. That way it won’t be a daunting process in the fall.”