UK golf teams set for SEC Championships

By Kyle Arensdorf

The UK men’s golf team will compete in the SEC Championship this weekend at the Sea Island Golf Club in St. Simons Island, Ga.

This marks the 13th time in as many years that the SEC Championship has been held at this seaside course where UK took the title in 2005.

The Cats finished eighth (22-over-par) in the Gary Koch Invitational last weekend despite a 4-under-par second round.

After the Invitational, head coach Brian Craig was optimistic about his team’s postseason and SEC chances.

“The good news is that this will not hurt our postseason chances and I absolutely believe in this team,” Craig said to UK Athletics. “We will work hard this week to be prepared for the SEC Championship next week.”

Junior Stephen Powers will look to nab his fifth top-10 finish of the season after his 33rd-place finish at the Gary Koch Invitational.

Junior Ben Stow will attempt to imitate his second round performance in last week’s Invitational in which he tied for the low score of the day (68).

The 2012 SEC Tournament saw strong finishing rounds from senior Chase Parker (even-par) and junior Cody Martin (1-over-par) as UK captured seventh-place.

Defending SEC champ and No. 2 ranked Alabama has won its last three tournaments and four of its last five tournaments dating back to February.

Competition will begin Friday and conclude Sunday.

The UK women’s golf team will also be in action this weekend for their SEC Championship at the Greystone Golf and Country Club in Hoover, Ala.

The Cats placed fifth in the M&F Bank Rebel Intercollegiate last weekend as they notched their second highest finish of the season.

Senior Ashleigh Albrecht was tied for 12th-place for the tournament with a 3-over-par, 219, finishing score.

Albrecht will look to continue her solid season as she has been the team’s low scorer in six of its eight tournaments on the season, including a top-6 finish that propelled her team to its only win of the season.

The Cats finished 10th in the 2012 SEC Tournament as the Auburn Tigers took first-place.

Action will begin on Friday and conclude Sunday.