Kernel selects Rachel Aretakis as next editor

By Amelia Orwick | @KyKernel

The Kentucky Kernel has named Rachel Aretakis as its editor-in-chief for the 2013-14 school year.

Kernel Press Inc. interviewed Aretakis, a journalism junior, on Thursday afternoon.

The nonprofit board, comprising Kernel alumni, the current editor and other journalism community members, is tasked annually with electing the editor.

“The Kentucky Kernel is without doubt one of the most important student organizations on campus,” said Duane Bonifer, chairman of Kernel Press Inc.

Aretakis, who was the only candidate for the position, served as a staff writer and assistant news editor for the Kernel as a freshman, and news editor during her sophomore year.

Bonifer said that a Kernel editor is “someone who’s great at everything,” and that Aretakis will become part of a legacy of quality Kernel editors.

She will succeed Becca Clemons, who is confident that Aretakis is a good fit for the position.

“I’ve always been able to rely on her and we’ve always worked well together, so it should be a smooth transition,” Clemons said. “She’s really the perfect person for the job.”

In coming weeks, Aretakis will begin building the rest of next year’s staff from her post in Washington, D.C., where she is completing an internship with USA Today.

Aretakis spent her fall semester studying Spanish in Argentina. She is a Spanish minor.

“I’m excited to come back to Lexington because I’ve been away for the past year,” Aretakis said.

Aretakis hopes to expand the Kernel’s online presence, as well as invite the opinions of everyone on campus to enhance the paper.

“Every editor puts her or his unique stamp on it, in terms of the agenda setting that they do for that year’s Kernel,” Bonifer said. “I think that’s what makes it such an interesting publication that people continue to read every year.”

Aretakis is eager to get started as editor and work to meet the goals she has set.

“Coming back from studying abroad and interning, I think I’ll bring some diverse experiences to the Kernel,” Aretakis said. “I’m looking forward to next year and the opportunities we have as a student newspaper.”