Runners bear cold for Color Me Rad 5K

By Josh Huff | @KyKernel

The Color Me Rad 5K brought zany, color-filled fun to UK on Saturday in support of Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass.

Despite the cold temperature and overcast skies, nearly 5,700 people showed up to the event, hosted by Alpha Delta Pi sorority.

Ryan Flannery, a member of UK Air Force ROTC, volunteered at the event as a member of the “color bomb squad.”

“These are some dedicated people,” Flannery said of the runners who toughed out the bitter cold to participate. The temperature was 28 degrees when the run began.

The volunteers arrived at 6 a.m. to start setting up loudspeakers, tents and “color bomb” stations along the course.

The starting line was splashed with a dizzying array of color, a foreshadowing of what was to come.

Runners were released in waves to allow each group ample time to be doused with a multitude of colors, consisting of non-toxic, colored cornstarch.

“I will definitely do this again,” said UK student and runner Anton Osipov. “I wish this event was twice a year and, of course, during warmer weather.”

People of all ages, from all over Kentucky, made the drive to Lexington.

“Color Me Rad was awesome,” said Tara Bailey of Hazard, Ky.

Once across the finish line, runners were treated to snacks and bottled water, as well as post-race entertainment, which consisted of tossing “color bombs,” competing in hula-hoop and pushup contests, and tossing of prizes and other gifts to the crowd.

Color Me Rad and Alpha Delta Pi raised nearly $10,000 for Ronald McDonald House Charities of the Bluegrass.

ADPi has contributed nearly $5 million to the charity throughout their partnership.

In addition to hosting Color Me Rad, ADPi will be hosting the Mini Masters, a mini-golf tournament at the Lexington Ice Center putt putt course.

Mallory Shoffner, ADPi’s philanthropy chair, said the organizers of Color Me Rad summed up the event by stating that “it was by far the coldest race that they’ve ever done, yet by far the raddest.”

“I want to thank everyone for coming out and supporting the Ronald McDonald House,” Shoffner said.

For photos and information about future events, visit colormerad.com.