HALFTIME: UK trails Tennessee 20-14

In a wild, back-and-forth half of football, UK trails the Tennessee Volunteers 20-14 in Neyland Stadium. The Cats have out-gained the Vols 261-234 in total yardage, and have shown impressive balance by throwing for 136 yards and running for 125.

In his final game as head coach, Joker Phillips has continued to utilize a rotation at quarterback between freshmen Jalen Whitlow and Patrick Towles. Whitlow began the game under center, and completed 13 of 21 passes for 116 yards and a touchdown to fullback D.J. Warren in the first quarter. Towles played just one series in the first half, completing his only pass to tight end Tyler Robinson for 20 yards.

Junior running back Jonathan George ran for 59 yards in the first half, including a career-long 45 yard touchdown rush in the second quarter. Fellow junior running back Raymond Sanders managed just 25 yards on the ground on 10 carries.

Tennessee quarterback Tyler Bray started the game on fire, leading two first quarter scoring drives of 80 and 38 yards respectively that took a combined 3:43 off the clock. Bray completed 12 of 20 passes for 172 yards through the air and two touchdowns.

Despite a missed 36-yard field goal off the foot of UK’s Craig McIntosh late in the half, the Cats will begin the second half with the ball after kicking off to begin the game. UK is seeking its first victory over Tennessee in Knoxville since 1984, and its second consecutive season-ending win over the Vols.