Construction of new facilities to be discussed at Board of Trustees Meeting

By Amelia Orwick

The UK Board of Trustees will have its first meeting of the academic year at 1 p.m. Tuesday.

The agenda includes discussion of several topics, including the construction of the new FarmHouse Fraternity house.

“We have been in our current house located in the six-pack since the fall of 1973, so our house is getting some age on it,” FarmHouse President Logan Goggin said.

FarmHouse alumni have put years of work into planning and fundraising for the $4 million house, Goggin said.

The house, which is expected to be complete for the start of the spring 2014 semester, will feature a technology center, library and chapel.

“All of the guys are really looking forward to moving to Rose Lane, and it will definitely be a huge milestone for the Kentucky chapter of FarmHouse Fraternity,” Goggin said.

In addition to approving the initiation of the new Farm House Fraternity house, the board’s Finance Committee also will look into the renovation of both the UK soccer and softball facilities.

According to the Board of Trustees meeting agenda, the softball complex renovation and upgrade “was approved … in the amount of $7,500,000 of private funds” in February.

Contingent upon approval at Tuesday’s meeting, the scope will be increased by $2,200,000.

The new softball facilities will include a stadium and batting pavilion.

The board will also be voting to approve the initiation of the capital project to renovate and expand soccer facilities, according to the meeting agenda.

“The estimated project scope is not expected to exceed $7 million and will be funded with UK Athletics’ private funds,” the agenda says.

Authorization to negotiate and prepare a final development plan for Shriners Hospital for Children’s relocation to South Limestone is also on the agenda.

Many of Shriners medical staff members are already involved in the UK Departments of Anesthesia and Orthopedics.

“The University of Kentucky and Shriners Hospitals for Children-Lexington have a long-standing relationship,” according to the agenda.

The full board meeting will take place on floor 18 of Patterson Office Tower at 1 p.m.