5K race for charity includes eating 12 Krispy Kreme doughnuts

Competitors ate 12 doughnuts halfway through the race at the Krispy Kreme Challenge at Commonwealth Stadium in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday, April 15, 2012. Photo by Tessa Lighty

By Melissa Patrick

Two thousand, four hundred calories, 144 grams of fat and 3.1 miles.

These were the requirements for the participants in the challenger division at the third annual Krispy Kreme 5K Challenge, sponsored by the UK Habitat for Humanity campus chapter.

They ordered 325 dozen doughnuts to meet this challenge, Race Director Megan Meserve said.

There were 471 runners on Sunday at Commonwealth Stadium. Those in the challenger division agreed to eat a dozen Krispy Kreme doughnuts halfway through the race.

The others chose the competitive division without the in-race doughnut requirements.

Runner Jennifer Willis’s strategy was to run faster on the way down, allowing more time to eat, and then run the second half slower.

This strategy worked well for Willis, a first-time runner from Berea, as she finished second in the challenger division.

“I was not feeling so good when I finished the race but I’m better now,” she said.

Other racers in the challenger division were Richard Ramirez, a Lexingtonian for the last 17 years, Steven Ramirez, UK alum, and Tyler White, a business management junior.

Steven Ramirez and White practiced on Thursday before the race, running exactly half the distance of the race from their home to their local grocery, eating six doughnuts with water and then running back home.

“We thought we would die,” Steven Ramirez said.

Richard Ramirez was the only one who felt sick mid-race.

“Never again,” Steven Ramirez said about the race.

Steve Olmstead, a Lexington chef, prepared for the race by watching YouTube videos of the North Carolina Krispy Kreme Challenge, as well as videos of people eating doughnuts to learn the proper technique.

Olmstead said the proper technique was to “set your box on the ground, stack up three doughnuts, smash them against the ground and have water in hand. Pour water on the doughnuts as you eat them.”

He said to make sure your “stomach stays ahead of your brain.”

Emily Andrews, a communication junior who is a Habitat for Humanity campus chapter officer, said they were prepared this year with more trash cans.

Money from the Krispy Kreme 5K Challenge will go to a particular Habitat for Humanity home scheduled to be built in the fall. The UK chapter for Habitat for Humanity will once again work together with the Interfraternity Council and Panhellenic Association to fully sponsor a house in the fall.

The cost to sponsor a house is $42,500, said Megan Meserve and Dana Stefaniak, resource development director for Habitat for Humanity.

Proceeds from the Krispy Kreme 5K Challenge as well as a $10,000 donation from State Farm will help them reach this goal.

With 2,400 calories, 144 grams of fat and 3.1 miles, it is left to wonder if it is worth it.

Stefaniak thinks it was as she expressed tremendous gratitude for the runners and sponsors who participated in the 5K.

“You don’t have to actually build a house to help Habitat for Humanity,” she said.

Winners:

Male challenger winner: Tyler Frazier with a time of 21.52

Female challenger winner: Nikki Gray with a time of 37:49

Male competitive winner: Matt Hoyes with a time of 17:22

Female competitive winner: Kendall Hayes with a time of 21:50