Officials release post-game safety tips

A Lexington firefighter moves a celebrating University of Kentucky fan out of the way on University Avenue as the firefighters worked at extinguishing a burning chair in Lexington, Ky., on Sunday, March 25, 2012, after Kentucky beat Baylor in the NCAA Tournament Elite Eight. Photo by Tessa Lighty

Lexington police included these safety tips in a news release:

Overall Enforcement

• Extra police officers from UK and the Lexington Division of Police will be on duty in and around the downtown area and neighborhoods surrounding campus on foot, in cars and on bicycles.
  • Citizens are asked to keep streets clear, and allow emergency response vehicles passage at all times.
  • Celebration is acceptable, but tipping cars, setting fires, destroying property and throwing projectiles will not be tolerated and will result in arrest.

Traffic

• Police urge motorists to use extra patience on the road.
  • Motorists should avoid the UK campus area and the downtown area immediately following the games (especially South Limestone Street and Euclid Avenue.)
  • Several no parking and towing areas will be designated by signs during the weekend. These areas include sections of South Limestone Street, and Woodland and Euclid avenues.

Medical Emergencies

• Fire and Emergency Services will be operating an emergency triage center at Fire Station 5 on Woodland Avenue. Persons with medical emergencies can report to that area during the NCAA games and several hours following, for emergency medical treatment.