Quick recap: Cats advance to Elite 8 with 102-90 win over the Hoosiers

Key player: Freshman Michael Kidd-Gilchrist’s success against Indiana continued during the Cats’ Sweet 16 game. The freshman finished the game with 24 points and 10 rebounds to lead the Cats. When UK needed a score, the Cats’ slasher could find his way to the basket against the likes of IU’s Will Sheehey and Victor Oladipo. Kidd-Gilchrist improved on his 18-point and nine-rebound performance in the December loss.

Turning point/key stretch: With 14:06 remaining in the first half, freshman Anthony Davis picked up his second foul of the game and sat the remainder of the first half. Throughout the course of those following 14 minutes, the Cats, led by senior Darius Miller and Kidd-Gilchrist, were able to hold onto the lead going into halftime. With the return of Davis in the second half, the UK big men were able to hold their own against Indiana freshman Cody Zeller and advance to the Elite Eight.

The good: UK was able to connect on 35 of 37 free throws against the Hoosiers. Those 35 free throws outnumbered the 13 makes on 17 attempts by IU.

Stat of the game: For the 13th time in the history of the NCAA Tournament, UK was able to score more than 100 points.

What’s next: A Cats victory over Indiana in the Sweet 16 puts them in an Elite Eight matchup with the Baylor Bears on Sunday at 2:20 p.m. in Atlanta.