Anthony Davis wins national player of the year award [UPDATE]

UK forward Anthony Davis passes the ball during the first half of UK's home game against Vanderbilt at Rupp Arena in Lexington, Ky. Feb. 21, 2012. Photo by Brandon Goodwin | Staff

By Aaron Smith

Anthony Davis won the Oscar Robertson Trophy, given to the national player of the year by the U.S. Basketball Writers Association.

Davis, who averages 14.3 points, 10.1 rebounds and 4.6 blocks, is the first UK player to win and the second freshman (Kevin Durant) to win in the 53-year history of the award.

“Anthony Davis made an immediate and dramatic impact on college basketball,” said USBWA President Lenox Rawlings of the Winston-Salem Journal in a press release. “He has many skills, most obvious among them his ability to block and alter shots. Davis’ dominance inside solidified Kentucky as a national title contender and brought Bill Russell back into the dialogue, shining light on the vital half of the game that people often ignore.”

Davis will receive the award on March 30, in conjunction with the Final Four, in New Orleans.

UPDATE: UK released quotes from Davis on winning the award:

“It means a lot to me to win this award,” Davis said. “To win the award is very touching and a big accomplishment, but all the thanks goes to my team, because without them I wouldn’t have received these awards.

“The recognition is nice, but I want to win the biggest award of them all and that’s the national championship. I have to stay humble and keep working.”

or email him at asmith@kykernel.com.

Thomas Robinson??????? (anybody) says:

Congrats Anthony Davis…..
Still think Thomas Robinson deserved it more..

Mendel Sexton says:

Congrats AD you make the BBN proud. We wish you all the best in the future. No matter what you do and where you go in the NBA you will always be AD from the University of Kentucky to Us!! Now finish this tournament off in fine fashion and bring us home NUMBER 8. We’ll see you in New Orleans!! GO CATS!!

jeff says:

Looking for 2 tickets to friday nights KU v IU game in atlanta. Email me at jeffjonap@hotmail.com if you are looking to sell

Karen Hobbs says:

A young man that is educated and a class act. Hopefully we at KENTUCKY will have the pleasure of watching him finish his education, mature to his capacity in college ball, and then enter the NBA! Congratulations to his parents for raising an outstanding young man!!!!

Ron Ressel says:

Congrats AD but only a title will solidify his legacy! GO BIG BLUE!!!!!!!!:-)

Trish Olinger says:

Congrats Swatman D…Cats Cats Cats Cats Catssss