Holiday Guide: A shopper’s guide to Lexington

By Lauren Walker

The holiday season is often one that brings cheer, joy, happiness, and … stress? When it comes to shopping for others, trying to find the perfect gift, standing in long lines, maneuvering through crowds of people and waiting in traffic can be a hassle. This year, why not make shopping into a fun and eventful day by visiting some of these shops that are close to home.

Limestone Area

If you are shopping around Limestone, be sure to check out Crittenden Upstairs and Bella Rose on the corner of South Upper and West Maxwell, for upscale clothing gifts. Then venture on over to South Limestone Street where you can pick up a variety of gifts ranging from magazines and books to jewelry and incense at sQecial Media. Nearby, you can check out CD Central, Lexington’s oldest and largest independent new and used music store. Here you can find not only CDs and DVDs, but also a large selection of records, turntables and even T-shirts.

Chevy Chase Area

Stop by The Morris Book Shop on East High Street to pick up some new releases and bestsellers. The independently owned bookstore sells Nikky Finney’s “Head Off & Split,” Haruki Murakami’s “1Q84,” and Christopher Paolini’s “Eragon,” all which are popular reads. Head over to South Ashland Avenue and check out John’s Run/Walk Shop to find a great selection of shoes. If you feel an appetite coming along, Billy’s Bar-B-Q is close by on Cochran Road (on the corner of East High Street) and offers delicious “good ole country barbeque cookn,’” according to its website. If you are looking for designer clothes for men or women, Mod Boutique on East High Street is another great shop selling gifts in a variety of price ranges.

Downtown

If you are shopping downtown, pop in Howard & Miller on North Broadway to find upscale clothing for men. After, you can walk over to Good Scents Home & Body Shop on West Main Street, where great stocking stuffers such as candles and body products made entirely in Kentucky can be found. While you are downtown, stop in the historical Kentucky Theatre and catch a holiday film. Movies such as “White Christmas,” “Miracle on 34th Street” and “It’s A Wonderful Life” will be showing throughout the month of December.

Clay Avenue/East Main Street Area

If you are in the Clay Avenue and East Main Street area, start your day of shopping off with a delicious breakfast or lunch from the family-owned Magee’s Bakery on East Main Street. You can even pick up some bakery items to share with others. If you want to find unique products that you can personalize, Caught Ya Lookin’ on East Main Street is the place to go. Here you can find luggage, handbags, linens and more. Pick up some of the season’s popular trends nearby at Você on Clay Avenue. Popular gifts such as Chan Luu leather wrap bracelets, Jennifer Zeuner gold necklaces and Viv & Ingrid jewelry, as well as a variety of other items such as bags and scarves can be found here.