Outdoor ice-skating rink opens downtown

By Brooke Talbot

It didn’t feel like winter on Saturday, but it certainly looked the part at Triangle Park.

A new ice-skating rink opened downtown Saturday at Triangle Park across from the Lexington Center.

“We wanted to see what it was like,  said Warren Wheeler, who was there with his 8-year-old son. ““We will definitely be back. It’s good exercise, a good time and a great idea.”

Christmas music played as families and couples skated at the outdoor rink.

“We wanted to check it out, so we made it a date,” said Aria Brunner, 17, who was there with her boyfriend.

Employees hope the rink attracts more people to the downtown area.

“We hope this will bring more families downtown in the day and evening, and hopefully they will do other things while they are down here,” Renee Lacy, an employee at the rink, said.

However, some people do not agree with the prices.

“I am disappointed because we brought our own skates, started skating and got pulled aside because we didn’t have wristbands on,”said Rula Said. “They made us go pay. You shouldn’t have to pay admission at an outdoor rink if you bring your own skates.”

The Unified Trust Company Ice Rink costs $10 to skate for an hour and a half, including skate rental. It is open from 4 p.m. to 9 p.m. Monday through Thursday, 4 p.m. to 10 p.m. on Fridays, 10 a.m. to 10 p.m. on Saturdays and noon to 8 p.m. on Sundays. During the holiday season it will stay open until 10 p.m. on weekdays.