‘Human Spirit’ orchestra concert takes audience through history, emotions

By Jennifer Abreu

The UK Chorale will perform the “Human Spirit” concert on Friday at 7:30 p.m. in the Singletary Center for the Arts’ concert hall, alongside Esther Heideman and Chad Slone with the Lexington Singers.

The concert will feature three works: Samuel Barber’s “Adagio for Strings,” Edward Elgar’s “Enigma Variations, op. 36” and Ralph Vaughan Williams’ “Dona nobis pacem.”

For the first time, the UK Chorale will be performing in a Lexington Philharmonic event, said the philharmonic’s general manager, Kelly Whelan.

“Human Spirit” gets its name from the many dramatic emotions its music attempts to send to the audience.

The pieces being performed represent different times in history in which people either rejoiced or suffered.

Whelan said the audience should prepare for a spectacular evening where they will catch “emotion being poured out the strings.”

The UK Chorale and the Lexington Singers join the performance at the last piece, the “Dona nobis pacem,” which will feature the guests soloists, soprano Esther Heldeman and baritone Chad Slone.

Both soloists have performed around the world and are very talented, Whelan said.

“Slone is an emerging star, and he is from Kentucky,” Whelan said.

Whelan said “Dona nobis pacem” is an emotional piece because it was written during times of war. She said the whole program showcases a range of emotion throughout and can be one of a person’s best classical experiences when it comes to music.

“The audience can expect a powerful evening of music,” Whelan said. “It will be a good experience to hear really powerful music and feel what the sounds really mean.”

Programs that evening that include the poems and the words to every piece being performed so that the audience, especially those who are not used to classical music, can read along better, understand and feel the music, Whelan said.

Paige Smith, the marketing and communication coordinator at LexPhil, said seats in the Singletary Center are being filled quickly.

“We have only about 100 tickets left, so it should be a full house,” Smith said.

About 300 people step on stage to perform the “Dona nobis pacem,” including the Lexington Philharmonic Orchestra, Lexington Singers, the UK Chorale and the guest soloists.

Smith said the emotion vibrating off their voices and instruments will make this a compelling piece.

“The Vaughn WIlliams’ has been played during times of sadness, for example, during the times of 9/11, so it will bring back emotions to a lot of people,” she said.

Smith said that “Human Spirit” reaches the whole human emotion range with the repertoire prepared for Friday evening.

“The audience will be put back in time and will be able to feel emotions through music,” Smith said.