Cool Cats rout Louisville 14-0

By Patrick Thompson

The UK hockey team hit the ice in full force Friday night, blasting in-state rival Louisville 14-0.

It’s not often that a hockey game sees 14 goals scored by a single team, but UK jumped on Louisville from the start, when freshman forward Charlie Hales scored in the first minute.

Junior forward Dylan Rohar added two more goals in the first period, and tacked on another in the third period to earn a hat trick.

UK lost no momentum going into the second period. They were able to come out and play physically, generating turnovers and winning the battle for loose pucks.

Louisville turnovers, coupled with clean passing and offensive possession, led to three more goals in the second period.

UK’s offense dominated in the final period. The Cool Cats made a statement to the Cards, scoring eight more goals to put them away.

Senior assistant captain Sean McLaughlin had the team’s second hat trick of the night, adding three goals of his own in the third period.

UK was able to stay out of the penalty box for much of the game, and capitalized on power play opportunities. A five-minute major penalty by a Louisville player kept UK on the power play, and the offense was able to take advantage of the extra man on the ice.

“We were able to work on a few things from practice,” senior captain Billy Glass said. “The five-minute major gave us a lot of time to work on our power play, so that helped us.”

Junior goalies Sal Olivet and Matt Bougie split ice time, and both posted shutouts.  Bougie faced 16 shots on the night and was able to turn them all away.

UK will play next on Friday, Nov. 4 at midnight against Indiana University at the Lexington Ice Center.