Commencement to individually recognize participants, feature Todd speech

By Jarrod Thacker

As the spring semester draws to an end, many UK students can look forward to the culmination of their academic careers.

The 144th Commencement ceremonies will be held May 8 at Rupp Arena, celebrating the graduation of UK students with the conferring of their hard-earned degrees.

According to John Herbst, director of the Student Center and chairman of the Commencement Committee, three individual ceremonies will be held to balance the number of students that will be attending each event.

There will be two undergraduate functions, which are divided by different colleges, and a separate event for graduates and professionals.

Those attending this year’s graduation can expect a different format in comparison to previous events.

Students participating in commencement will be individually recognized as they walk across the stage, with their names and majors addressed on a screen.

This new process is thought by the committee, which serves as an advisory capacity to the president, to add length to the ceremony. This raises questions regarding the availability of time to allow high-profile keynote speakers for the event.

UK President Lee Todd will be the principle speaker for this year’s ceremonies, said Herbst, who explains that it is traditional for a university president to deliver a speech during inaugural and exiting years, but expresses doubt that future ceremonies will warrant an address from anyone other than the UK president.

“At this point in time I think the feeling of the committee is that we may not continue (to obtain external speakers),” Herbst said.

In previous years, UK has obtained keynote speakers candidates who have had some relation to the state of Kentucky, have been a national figure or have attended the university. They were suggested by the Commencement Committee and submitted to the provost and president for review.

Notably, Beverly Kirk, a former news anchor for NewsChannel 8 in Washington, D.C., and UK alumna, delivered the keynote address for the graduating class of 2008.

Herbst also said this decision is a more appropriate use of university money. While UK in the past would only pay for the speaker’s expenses, many other similar institutions pay a much higher price.

The New York Times recently reported that author Toni Morrison will receive an honorary doctorate and $30,000 for giving a commencement speech at Rutgers University this year.

In addition to Todd’s speech at each of the ceremonies, student representatives of the class of 2011 will present addresses.

Public health major Tourette Jackson will speak at the graduate commencement ceremony, agricultural communications and journalism major Dwight Lacy will speak at the first undergraduate ceremony and political science and international studies major James Chapman will speak at the following undergraduate ceremony.

“I think very highly (of the student speakers) … they represent the entire class of 2011, where they will share their thoughts, memories and aspirations to fans, friends and supporters that the students have had over their tenure as a student at UK,” Herbst said.

Those interested in participating must register online at http://www.uky.edu/Commencement as soon as possible. Tickets are not required for admission.