Guy, Trevathan considering NFL futures, Russell to transfer

UK linebacker Danny Trevathan tackles Vanderbilt running back Warren Norman during the first half of the football game against Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009. The Wildcats beat the Commodores 24-13. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

Junior safety Winston Guy and junior linebacker Danny Trevathan will have their NFL draft stock evaluated after the season. Trevathan finished the season leading the Southeastern Conference with 130 tackles. Guy was second on the team and tied for sixth in the SEC with 98 tackles.

“It wasn’t really my decision,” Guy said. “Coach (Joker) Phillips had talked to me about it, he said that he wanted me to get myself evaluated.”

Guy said he wasn’t leaning toward staying or going, and planned on waiting to see his evaluation before making a decision. But later, he said he and Trevathan had considered what the UK defense could look like next year if they both chose to return for their senior campaigns.

“I said ‘Come on, Danny, we need to come back,’” Guy said. “I don’t know. Danny is a very good player and I love how I got a chance to play with him. We both came in at the same time and improved a lot. I just hope he makes the right decision for himself and his future. I hope that we both come back to improve this defense, and I think it will help our draft stock if we see what we can improve on.”

Along with Guy and Trevathan, junior receiver Randall Cobb previously announced he would have his stock evaluated. Players have until Jan. 15 to decide to remain in the draft or return to school.

“I’m just going to fill out the papers, send them in, and see how things go and then when the time for me to make the decision comes, I’ll make it,” Guy said.

Russell to transfer, Porter considering options

Sophomore tailback Donald Russell has asked for and been granted his full release from the program and intends to transfer, Phillips announced on Sunday. Freshman defensive tackle Elliot Porter, who arrived at UK after leaving Louisiana State just before the season began, was not at practice on Sunday and is considering his future.

Russell began the season as UK’s No. 2 tailback, but ended up splitting time there with freshman Raymond Sanders. Russell finished the season with 293 rushing yards, averaging 4.6 yards per carry.

But Russell carried the ball just once against Mississippi State while Sanders had 24 carries, and Russell’s mother was quoted in the Danville Advocate shortly after saying she was unhappy with Russell’s playing time.

Porter joined the Cats in mid-August after signing with LSU. The Tigers signed too many players, and released Porter, a Louisiana native, from his scholarship.

“Elliot was put in a tough situation,” Phillips said. “He wants to be close to home, and he’s a little homesick. Nothing’s official yet, but he is here in town.”

Cobble could play in bowl game

Sophomore defensive tackle Mister Cobble, who missed the regular season and lost a year of eligibility after being named academically ineligible, could play in the Cats’ bowl game if his academics are in order at the end of the semester, Phillips confirmed.

Because Cobble has already lost the year of eligibility, Phillips said he would play Cobble in the bowl game if he is able to. Cobble was a highly-touted recruit when he arrived at UK in 2009 and was redshirted. He was penciled in to start at defensive tackle before being named ineligible.

Cobble’s presence could be even more important to the Cats after junior defensive tackle Mark Crawford was suspended for the remainder of the season for a violation of team rules.

“We’re hoping (Cobble’s) taking care of business, and he has been for the most part,” Phillips said. “He’s had two years of not playing, and it’s only going to benefit him if we get him to play, even if it’s just one game.”