From Stanton to Blanton

One of Kentucky’s own is returning to UK to take over some familiar reigns.

Jay Blanton is returning to UK as the executive director of Public Relations and Marketing.

Blanton replaces Jimmy Stanton, who left UK Tuesday to head to the University of Tennessee as the associate athletic director of Communications.

In 2008, Blanton left UK to be press secretary for Gov. Steve Beshear. In Nov. 2009, he began working as director of Communications and Marketing at Keeneland.

His decision to return to UK was formally announced at Keeneland on Thursday, and Blanton said he was formally offered the position within the last few days.

Blanton said coming back to UK would be like coming home. Both of his degrees are from UK.

“I think UK is the most important institution in the Commonwealth,” Blanton said.

Tom Harris, UK’s vice president of external affairs, said he was excited to have Blanton back as part of the public relations team.

“I’m thrilled the opportunity presented itself for Jay to come back to the university,” Harris said.

Since Blanton has worked at UK before, Harris said Blanton will make the transition from Stanton smooth because he is already familiar with many of the people at UK.

“He can hit the ground running,” Harris said. “There’s no learning curve with him.”

Blanton said he looked forward to working with the public relations staff. He said Stanton had added people the public relations staff to make it a “great blend of young people and veterans.”

“I’m thrilled to be coming home,” Blanton said.