Cats set to begin “new season”, face Georgia Saturday

The UK men’s basketball team may have a record of 15-0 and ranked No. 3 in the country, but on Saturday they’ll be 0-0 and about to start a new season.

Georgia (8-5) comes to Rupp Arena on Saturday afternoon and the Cats will begin Southeastern Conference play with a clean slate.

“This is what it’s about,” Calipari said. “This is why we put on the uniform and the guys battle.”

The Cats haven’t played since their physical 71-62 win over in-state rival Louisville on Saturday. In the mean time the Cats participated in “Camp Cal.” The end of the camp, which included multiple practices per day, dinners and movies together, has produced a tight knit group that’s ready to get back on the court.

“We’re always around each other and that’s what brings the team together,” said sophomore guard DeAndre Liggins.

After 15 games, Calipari wouldn’t say what the team’s weaknesses were, but said their strength is a will to win and Saturday’s game will be a close affair.

“Obviously it’s enjoyable to see a big win, but when you’re learning about your team you need close games and I’m just learning about these guys,” Calipari said. “And I’ll tell you what else, they’re learning about each other. They have to know when it’s on, who can make plays and who has to be sitting next to the coach.”

One player who could play a key role in keeping the Cats at the top of SEC as the team to beat is Liggins. The Chicago native didn’t see court action (including exhibition games) until Dec. 12 at Indiana where he got one minute of playing time. Since then, Liggins has seen double digit minute totals in four of the Cats’ last five games.

Plays such as his tip pass on a loose ball to Patrick Patterson for a slam dunk in the Louisville game are the type of plays that Liggins said he enjoys more than 3-pointers, and he understands his new role on the team.

“I have a different role and I’m accepting that role to make this team better and that’s what it’s about,” Liggins said. “That’s my growing up from last year. It feels good, it feels very good.”

On Saturday, the Cats will face Georgia’s Trey Thompkins. The 6-foot-10 big man ranks in the top ten in the conference in points and rebounds, averaging 16.2 points and eight rebounds per game for the Bulldogs and has the Cats’ attention.

“He’s good,” Calipari said. “He’s physical, he’s got strength, he’s not afraid. Like I said, they know how good they are.”

While the Bulldogs currently sit at the bottom of the Eastern Division and the Cats at the top, Georgia has quality wins over Illinois and most recently against No. 20 Georgia Tech on Tuesday.

Calipari said he hopes the SEC will wind up getting seven or eight bids to the NCAA Tournament in March and pointed to the number of players returning in the SEC as to why the league will be so tough. Calipari also said he’s scared to death of the upcoming game against Georgia.

“If (we’re) not ready to play we’ll get beat,” Calipari said.