Seminar program trades pencils for skits in final exam

By Kevin Ortiz

For most students, taking finals consists of essay questions or endless Scantron bubbles.  For students in the Discovery Seminar Program, writing utensils will not be necessary.

On Wednesday in the Student Center Ballrooms, freshmen and transfer students in DSP will present their Fall 2009 Showcase, featuring topics and skills they have learned over the course of the semester.

From skits to research findings, students will share their final examinations in front of hundreds of attendees, said Lynn Hiler, the DSP coordinator.

“There are 21 different seminars for first-year students, ranging in topics from horses and poverty, all the way to being green,” Hiler said.

DSP includes seminar courses for any first-year UK student including transfers. The courses are designed to help orient students to the university and make the transition as seamless as possible.

To make students feel more comfortable, classes are smaller, no more than 25 students in each, Hiler said.

Three DSP courses, American Sign Language, Discovery Improvisation Workshop and My Kingdom is a Horse, will be featuring presentations at the showcase. One of the presentations will include an appearance from Keeneland’s head bugler, George Sallee, more commonly known as “Bucky the Bugler.”

The showcase begins at 11:30 a.m. The event is free and open to the public.