Finals Week change up for vote

Student Government is not using Dead Week as an excuse to do nothing.

SG could decide on fee increases, a new senate president and a split finals schedule by the end of the week starting Wednesday.

An election will be held at the weekly meeting to replace Senate President John Whitt, who will graduate in December, and will push the proposal to split final examinations and Dead Week to the SG Senate, said SG President Ryan Smith. Smith said he has heard of some possible candidates, but did not want to reveal them to stay nonpartisan.

“I want the Senate to elect the person who will do the best job, but I didn’t want to get in their way,” Smith said. “ … They’ll elect someone we’ll work very well with.”

Voting on the split Finals Week proposal is a “back and forth” process, Smith said. Even though SG has been working with the Faculty Senate on the proposal, the Faculty Senate wanted them to give the proposal to the SG Senate for approval first, Smith said.

“It sends a stronger signal when the Student Senate passes (the proposal),” Smith said. “Whether it gets passed (Wednesday) night or the first week in January, I’m pretty confident we’ll get something that works with everybody.”

Several student organizations have been in contact with and making presentations to SG in hopes for an increase in fees for the past few weeks, said Joe Quinn, SG deputy chief of staff for programming. Quinn said the last presentation will be made Thursday.

SG will send their recommendations to Interim Vice President for Student Affairs and Dean of Students Victor Hazard and Provost Kumble Subbaswamy. Quinn said no clear indication as to how much the fee increase would be was available yet.

The student organizations that requested a fee increase, including Student Activities Board and the Office of Student Involvement, were asked to answer a list of questions, Quinn said, such as what the organization would do with a fee increase.