Burden, Georgia natives preparing for Bulldogs

during the UK football game against Vanderbilt at Vanderbilt Stadium on Saturday, Nov. 14, 2009. Photo by Adam Wolffbrandt

After becoming bowl eligible Saturday with a 23-14 win over Vanderbilt, there was plenty of talk among UK players about taking things one game at a time in the final two weeks.

But for some players, it doesn’t take any extra motivation to focus on this week’s game against Georgia.

“I look at all the games as being the same to me, but just because it’s the Georgia game, I get to go back home, it would be good to have this win,” sophomore cornerback Randall Burden said. “I’ll be able to talk to all the Georgia fans that went to school with me and I know my mom can brag to people at work that like Georgia. It would be good if we can get a win.”

Burden is one of 20 current UK players from Georgia, and one of several to hail from La Grange High School in La Grange, Ga. Now-departed defensive stalwarts Wesley Woodyard and Braxton Kelley both came from La Grange High School.

He grew up an Alabama fan, because he was born in Huntsville, but the Georgia game will still be special to him. He said he’ll have plenty of friends and family in the stands in Athens, and a win would mean a lot for all of his teammates from the area.

UK’s pipeline to Georgia – and LaGrange High School in particular – has blossomed in recent years thanks to UK head coach of the offense Joker Phillips.

“(The University of) Gerogia gets all the top recruits, the four-star guys and all that, but Coach Phillips does a real good job of getting the two-star, three-star guys like myself and building them up into some good prospects,” Burden said.

Big Blue Crush Begins

The 22nd annual Big Blue Crush, a blood drive to collect blood units for the holidays, began Monday. Big Blue Crush pits UK fans against Tennessee fans in an effort to donate the most units of blood during the five-day drive, which runs through Friday and will be held at various locations throughout campus and the state.

Tennessee has beaten UK in the blood drive each of the last six years. In 2008, Tennessee fans donated 3,237 units of blood compared to 2,640 units from UK fans.

“There’s no reason that the Kentucky fans can’t beat Tennesse in this blood drive,” Brooks said. “There is a great need, obviously, for blood in all of our hospitals. It just takes a little time, a very small inconvenience to your day or your evening and I would encourage everybody to get out there. All those fans that are unhappy about the losing streak to Tennessee, we also have a losing streak in the blood drive and that’s one they can take care of. I’ve done my part.”

For more information on Big Blue Crush, visit www.kybloodcenter.com.