Free speech cost UK $45,000

By Casey Wheeless

When former Israeli Prime Minister Ehud Olmert spoke on UK’s campus three weeks ago, parking lots were shut down and protests were staged along Rose Street. But with the controversy came a price tag — a $45,000 speaking fee, with several hundred dollars more spent for hotel accommodations — all paid by UK.

Assistant Provost Richard Greissman said The Great Talent Network Agency, based in New York, contacted UK to see if Olmert could stop in Lexington for his “Tour of American Universities.” The funds came from discretionary funds from donations, Greissman said.

“As an alum, when you donate to UK, you can give your donations to a specific fund … if the donor had been notified, that donor would have said, ‘This is where I want my money to be spent, getting world leaders to come to UK to speak,’ ” Greissman said.

UK did not spend any money on extra security, with UK Police providing the security for the event. Israeli and U.S. Secret Service supplied the bulk of the security detail, Greissman said.

Having Olmert come was a stepping stone to having more world leaders come to UK, Greissman said. Greissman said he was also looking forward to Palestinian legislator Hanan Ashrawi coming to speak.

UK will be paying Ashrawi a $15,000 honorarium, Greissman said, with an additional $10,000 possible for air travel from Jerusalem and a two-night stay in Lexington.

“We can’t get world leaders to come to UK for lunch,” Greissman said.