Business fraternity recognizes two students

By Erica Mitchell

Two members of the nation’s oldest professional business fraternity received awards at a national convention earlier this year.

Marketing junior Jake Metz and finance senior Jordan Wilson, members of the UK chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi, were awarded two of five individual awards presented at the coed fraternity’s biennial convention in August. The convention, held in Orlando, Fla., included about 200 chapters and 95,000 people.

“UK’s chapter of Alpha Kappa Psi is unique because we are innovators,” said chapter president Kacey Marr. “Our members are constantly striving to find new ways to excel.”

Wilson was named Brother of the Year, and Metz was named Innovator of the Year.

Marr said Wilson was awarded Brother of the Year because of his involvement in the fraternity at the local and international level.

“I have been fortunate enough to be honored individually, but it wouldn’t have happened without the help of the other members,” said Wilson, the fraternity’s vice president of administration. “We build off each other.”

Metz said that being one of more than 80 members of Alpha Kappa Psi can help students build essential business skills.

“Being in Alpha Kappa Psi definitely gives people an edge as far as learning professionalism and all things involved in getting a job and succeeding in that job,” Metz said.

Metz was awarded the innovation award because he created Professionapalooza, a day-long event that included speakers, resume workshops, mock interviews, an etiquette dinner and a business-attire fashion show.

“His idea of Professionapalooza has sparked a new excitement throughout many chapters about the importance of professionalism,” Marr said. “Many chapters, including alumni chapters, have put on or plan to create their own Professionapalooza events, modeled after Jake’s original idea.”

Besides the individual honors, UK’s chapter, Omicron Psi, and four other chapters were awarded First Place Fraternity Standing.

The award is based on how many “points” the chapter gains throughout the year for participating in various activities and events. The fraternity was also nominated for International Chapter of the Year.

Each semester, Alpha Kappa Psi hosts at least six professional speakers who talk to members about business skills, but business is not the only focus of the fraternity. Members also participate in several service events including Ronald McDonald House dinners and bingo at local nursing homes.

Marr said the fraternity encourages academic and career success by rewarding members for good grades and honors, and by distributing members’ resumes to local businesses.

“Our members also gain a sense of brotherhood within the local chapter and nationwide by growing and learning with other members,” she said.

Metz added that Alpha Kappa Psi has a good balance between professionalism and fun.

“You get the professionalism aspect and then you get all the fun and sense of brotherhood, too,” he said.