SG praises ban, debates faults

By Andrew Pillow

Student Government senators jumped in the tobacco debate as the Nov. 19 campuswide ban draws nearer.

Senate President John Whitt gave a short presentation on why the ban was enacted. Members of the Tobacco-Free Campus Task Force attended the meeting, answering questions centered on the ban. Whitt said a “preexisting code of conduct” will be used to enforce the ban.

“I’m just concerned it’s unenforceable unless there really is an on-the-ground presence,” said Matt Marano, the College of Architecture senator. “The ban that was enacted in 2006 had no noticeable effect.”

Ellen Hahn, co-chair of the Tobacco-Free Campus Task Force, said there has been some noticeable change, especially on UK’s medical campus.

The majority of senators agreed the policy is necessary.

“It will promote healthiness across the state and campus,” Whitt said. “By us going first, it proves that we are the flagship of the state.”

Whitt said more than 300 other college campuses are already smoke-free, and nicotine gums and patches will be available in campus convenience stores.

The Senate Accountability Act, which allows senators three unexcused absences from meetings, was put into effect Wednesday night.

The act also requires that senators meet with their constituents several times a semester.

Elizabeth McMahon, the College of Education senator, welcomed the new policy change.

“You don’t run for a position and not fulfill any of the duties,” McMahon said.

Thomas Carver, an accounting senior, asked for $2,000 for Fight Night, a boxing tournament hosted by the fraternity Sigma Chi and sorority Alpha Delta Pi to benefit various philanthropies.

“Something like $2,000 really goes a long way,” Carver said.