Committee offers another chance to hear opinions

By Katie Perkowski

The Urban County Council’s Planning Committee will hold another meeting Monday for members of the Lexington and UK community to voice their opinions on the proposed housing plan submitted by the Student Housing Task Force.

The proposal involves university student rentals, including single-family homes, in certain residential areas in Lexington.

Ryan Smith, Student Government president and member of the Student Housing Task Force, said SG has been told the Committee will not be moving any action forward tomorrow and that it is just an opportunity for people to talk who could not attend the last meeting.

Nick Stamatiadis, a UK engineering professor who was appointed by the mayor to represent the Seven Parks neighborhood on the Student Housing Task Force, said he is a member strictly to represent his neighborhood.

“The fact that I’m working with UK had nothing to do with being appointed to that committee,” Stamatiadis said.

Stamatiadis agrees with the proposal for a number of reasons including: thinking people do not respect where they live, there is a lot of noise and unruly behavior, too many people are living in a house meant for a single family and too many people are in the streets and backyards.

“The fact that residents in the area have decided to do something is an indication of the problem,” he said.

Smith said SG does not agree with the proposal because attempting to create a neighborhood with 50 percent students and 50 percent non-students is only going to push students farther away.

Smith said students already have parking and traffic issues and the proposal would make issues like these worse.

“I feel like it’ll hurt that sense of pride and spirit because it will turn it into a commuter-based school,” Smith said.

Smith said the Planning Committee would decide the next step depending on how many people show up at Monday’s meeting and what they have to say.

Stamatiadis said the proposal is not something that is going to happen overnight or quickly. The plan, he said, would not happen in the near future.

The meeting will be held at the Lexington-Fayette Urban County Government Building downtown at 1 p.m. and is open to the public.