SG Senate holds its members accountable for attendance

By Andrew Pillow

Student Government passed a policy that would require a stricter attendance and revisited a proposed idea from the previous meeting Wednesday night.

The Senate passed the Senate Accountability Act.  According to the act, senators will be allowed three unexcused absences. Each senator must also meet with the organizations and students under his or her college four times a semester and take note of their needs and inform them on how to get funding.

Additionally, senators will be required to help in a physical capacity at events funded by SG once a semester. Senators will also be required to work at two TallyCats events, an SG initiative.

Violations of the act will be noted and sent to a committee. If the violation(s) are deemed serious enough, it will be sent to another committee that handles impeachment and reprimands. That committee then sends the violation to the full body for consideration.

The act passed almost unanimously except for one senator who had a problem with the TallyCats and meeting requirements.

“I think there were some unrealistic expectations and weren’t effective for the role we were elected to fill,” said Sarah Billiter, senator for the College of Law.

The Senate also revisited the idea of consolidating the elected position of vice president and the position of Senate president. Vice President Kelsey Hayes does not feel she would have the time to do both.

“If the job is done right, I wouldn’t have the time to be Senate president,” Hayes said. “I feel like I would slight the Senate.”