Phonathon program prospers in tough times

By Jenny Boylan

Despite 2008 being one of the worst economic years in recent history, it was the most prosperous year for the UK Phonathon program since it began in the mid-1990s.

A philanthropic program, the Phonathon brought in $1.4 million in annual gift commitments from alumni, parents, and friends of the university between fall 2008 and summer 2009, said Anne Vanderhorst, Phonathon coordinator.

Since the beginning of this school year, the Phonathon program has brought in $130,000, call leader Ashley Martinez said.

The Phonathon aims to achieve three goals: raise support for scholarships and other improvements across campus, foster positive feelings and connections with alumni, and make sure alumni, parents, and friends of the university are always up to date on important information, Vanderhorst said.

Students make up the entire staff of the program and aim to provide a firsthand perspective on the university and explain why annual giving is important to UK’s excellence, according to the program’s Web site.

Martinez said she loves being a part of the program because she feels like she is doing something good for the school while getting paid for it.

“I love the people. I love the place,” Martinez said. “It’s just a great time.”

Alumni want to do what they can to give back to the university and students because they were once in their position, call supervisor Joanna Kohorst said.

“It’s times like these when people realize money, especially to students, is extremely important,” Kohorst said. “I’m here on scholarship and alumni support enables this.”