Evans, defensive line look to improve

. Photo by Britney McIntosh

Junior defensive end DeQuin Evans has one man on his mind this week: Tim Tebow.

“He’s everybody’s bull’s-eye right now,” Evans said. “If you play defensive end and you don’t want to hit Tim Tebow and that isn’t one of your goals, you shouldn’t be playing defensive end. He’s on my radar. He’s the little red dot and I’m the bullet chasing after him.”

In just his second game for the Cats, Evans, a junior college transfer, had two sacks against Louisville. In fall camp, he was touted as the answer to UK’s pass-rush prayers. But the defensive line disappointed in the season opener, failing to get consistent pressure against Miami of Ohio’s three-step and five-step drops.

Coaches said the line played significantly better against Louisville. That started with Evans, who showed what he could do in flashes. Evans said he would still like to work on his consistency this week.

“You can’t just go in there and make one play and then mess up three plays and come back and make an alright play the next time,” Evans said. “You have to be consistent in what you’re doing and play assignment football. That’s what separates good from great.”

UK head coach Rich Brooks certainly thinks Evans has the potential to be great. Evans entered practice with a hip flexor this week, but is still expected to be ready to play on Saturday.

“DeQuin Evans took a major step forward,” Brooks said at his Monday news conference. “Although he’s still a work in progress, I think this guy is going to be an outstanding player as we go through the season if we can keep him healthy because he’s only going to get better as he understands things at this level of football. He’s got a motor and he’s got talent.”

Senior defensive tackle Corey Peters, the most seasoned player on the line, said he saw definite improvement on the entire line from the first week. While the Cats were able to get more pressure on the passer in the second game, Peters said it’s important for UK to improve on getting more consistent pressure and not just a couple of big plays per game.

“I think we’re always looking to improve,” Peters said. “Consistency is something that we are always looking to improve upon. As a defensive lineman, I don’t think you can ever be truly happy unless somebody is hitting the quarterback every play.”

Even as the line looks to become more consistent, Evans will still look to make the same big plays as last week.

“As long as I get a chance to study my opponent, you’re going to see some big plays out of me,” Evans said.

WILSON RETURNS TO TEAM

Freshman linebacker Ridge Wilson practiced with the team on Tuesday. He had not been with the team since being arrested on charges of fourth-degree assault last Tuesday.

UK Interim Police Chief Maj. Joe Monroe said Wilson struck a girl in the face on Monday, Sept. 14.

Wilson pleaded not guilty to the charges in his Sept. 16 court date. He is scheduled to appear in court on Oct. 1.

His status with the team will be evaluated going forward, Brooks said on Tuesday.