Lessening game day litter

Group aims to reduce trash around stadiu

By Sara Nargessi

Football season brings thousands of fans into Commonwealth Stadium for hard hits and touchdowns, but once the game ends, cans, bottles and other trash cover the area.

For its third year, the Game Day Task Force is hoping to curb the amount of litter left after games around the stadium and surrounding areas.

At a news conference held Wednesday, the Game Day Task Force said it is working to keep the stadium area clean, but whatever trash is left over will be collected by inmates supervised by the Community Corrections.

Diane Lawless, the 3rd District councilwoman, said the Panhellenic Council’s fraternities and sororities will also be participating in the clean-up process throughout the weekend.

“On Sunday mornings they are going to go through the neighborhoods and clean up any trash or debris that has been left out, and we at the 3rd District really appreciate their work and volunteering their time,” she said.

Erica Denoyer, a marketing senior, said the trash was a noticeable problem after game days, and she thought bringing in outside sources to clean was a good idea.

“I have noticed the trash, especially after the games,” she said. “I think if the inmates come, it will definitely help out with picking up the trash and keeping our university looking nice.”

The task force made additions to help control the amount of trash. New trash containers will be on the sidewalks around the stadium and Code Enforcement officers will give citations for trash violations.

UK Interim Police Chief Joe Monroe said he was concerned about keeping the campus areas clean, and he hoped tailgaters would respect the campus and its rules.

“Everyone take ownership,” Monroe said. “Treat areas as they were your own. … Fans, please manage your behavior for the sake of public safety. … We don’t want anyone running onto the field to celebrate.”

Other task force members addressed safety and security concerns about game days. Lexington Police Chief Ronnie Bastin discussed the balance between fans having fun and people acting inappropriately.

“Any behavior that puts people or property in danger is going to be swiftly dealt with,” he said. “Our goal is to give an environment where everyone can have the best time that they can, and we’re here to do that.”